Study the Trumpet with James
Private lessons+ Master Classes/Clinics
You can study the trumpet with James in-person in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, via Video Skype/Face Time, or live in-person around the country depending on James' travel itinerary.
James also gives master classes and clinics across the country to a wide range of audiences ranging from high school, middle school, college/university, and praise & worship teams at churches.
James has worked with all ages and levels of players from beginners through college and professional players. He can work one-on-one or in a group master class environment. James specializes in the areas of musicality and creativity.
As a player who has successfully navigated many problems on the trumpet (including an embouchure change, bruised lips, early lack of rhythmic coordination, trouble with low & high range through his formative years, and much more). James can help you to work through your challenges and bring you to a place of breakthrough by offering innovative ideas to develop your range, sight reading skills, creative practice methods/ideas, better fluidity and ease of play, and more.
James' Principal Trumpet Teachers Include:
Charles Schlueter, Principal Trumpet, Boston Symphony Orchestra (Retired)
Peter Chapman, Trumpet Boston Symphony Orchestra/Boston Pops (Retired)
Nello Salza, International Soloist & Italian Opera Trumpeter
David Greenhoe, Lake Placid Sinfonietta, Quad City Symphony
James' Teaching Experience Includes:
- Midlothian High School, Midlothian, TX, November 2017-Present
- Frank Seale Middle School, Midlothian, TX, November 2017-Present
- Crowley and Summer Creek Middle Schools, Ft. Worth, TX, October 2017-Present
- Video/Skype Trumpet Studio, USA, 2011-Present
- Highland Middle School, Saginaw/Ft. Worth, TX, August 2016-May 2017
- Saginaw High School, Saginaw/Ft. Worth, TX, April 2016-May 2017
- Westlake Christian Academy, Grayslake, IL, 2011-Present (Regular Guest Artist Studio)
- Libertyville High School, Libertyville, IL, 2004-2011
- Oswego High School, Oswego, IL, 2004-2011
- Wheaton-Warrenville High School, Wheaton, IL, 2004-2007
- Plainfield South High School, Plainfield, IL, 2004-2006
- School for the Arts, Community Christian Church, Naperville IL, 2003-2005
- School of Creative Arts, Grace Chapel, Lexington, MA, 1995-2002
- Concord-Carlisle Public Schools Music Department, Concord/Carlisle, MA, 1998-1999
- South Shore Conservatory of Music, Hingham, MA, 1995-1997
- Middleborough Public Schools Music Department, Middleborough, MA, 1995-1997
Trumpet Master Classes James has presented at Colleges and Universities including:
Bellarmine University ✪ Butler University ✪ Campbellsville University ✪ Cedarville University ✪ Clemson University ✪ Coe College ✪ Eastern Illinois University ✪ Kennesaw State University Northern Kentucky University ✪ University of Iowa ✪ University of South Alabama ✪ Wake Forest University ✪ Wright State University
James' Teaching Philosophy:
Each student is approached as an individual artist. James will work with you to develop a successful approach to the trumpet and to music in general. James has written pedagogical articles & developed his own specialized studies.
James' background includes Chicago/NY/Boston Schools and Styles of Classical and Foundational Trumpet Playing. Some of the resources utilized include classical methods/studies from Arban, Schlossberg, Irons, Clarke, Bitsch, Charlier, Voxman, Voisin to Contemporary Studies and Etudes from Bai Lin, Maurice Andre, Ponzo, Cichowicz, and more.
James also teaches multiple breathing methods including classic and wedge breath as well as his own specialized method for sight reading, multiple tonguing, range development, and musicality.
High School/Music Store/Community Clinics
A Sampling of Clinic Topics...
- The Trumpet through history...from Baroque to the 21st century and beyond
- How to Prepare for Music in College
- Proven Techniques in Multiple Tonguing, Fluidity, Range, and Sightreading
- Effective and Enjoyable Trumpet Practice/Studies
- Coaching students on Solo/Ensemble Works and Interpretation
Church Music Ministry/Worship Team Clinics
A Sampling of Clinic Topics...
- Performance or Ministry? How to pursue excellence while pursuing genuine music ministry
- Preparing the heart and mind for leading worship
- Practical Tools and Tips to Effectively Learn Music, Sightread Easily, and Conquer Anxieties
Consultations Trumpet and Equipment Available:
Starting in 2016 I am offering special group and individual consultations for trumpet players. These consultations will help you address playing/performance issues as well as fine tune your trumpet(s) for the best results. I will offer you my experience and training in preparation, performance, and trumpet equipment technology.
James' partnership with Callet Custom Trumpets and GR Mouthpieces/Northern Brass brings incredible instruments and mouthpieces combined with a lot of hands-on practical coaching experience working with clients and players all over the country. These consultations will take your playing to a different level. Please contact James if you are interested in booking a consult.
Resources for Trumpet Students:
Here are a few links to help you with cleaning and maintenance of your instrument: